Monday, February 27, 2012

Motivationally Challanged Ramblings of a Pregnant Yogi


You may have noticed how quiet my blog has been lately... I know I have. Everyday I have the intention to write something but lately I've been lethargic, restless and lacking in creative motivation. I am 30 weeks pregnant, but I'm also not working at the moment so I have nothing but free time. I thought I'd be all over blogging and creating during these seemingly endless weeks before my little minnow is born. But lately I find myself in some sort of funk. Hopelessly bored and uninspired.  I'm the kind of person who needs a busy schedule to function at maximum capability. So with all the down time I'm finding it harder and harder to get up and create something.

I think the lack of hot yoga in my life is a big part of it. I miss it terribly. It's ridiculously challenging but always leaves me feeling refreshed, energized and ready to conquer to world. This low impact prenatal yoga I've been doing just isn't the same. Any yoga is good for the soul, but I miss the sweat and racing heart of hot. But I only have 10 weeks left (!) of pregnancy so it's not too bad. I really can not WAIT to be able to start working out again. My body is aching for an intense cardio session on my bike and multiple cleansing hot yoga classes a week. I don't feel like myself without it. I know I won't be able to go as much as I used to after my minnow is born, but I will definitely be making time for it in order to be the best momma I can be. My wonderful husband has committed to being home with minnow for a couple hours every night while I get back into my workout routine. He knows how important fitness is to me, and how much happier and all around BETTER I am at life when I go to hot yoga regularly.

Some people have been telling me about how my priorities will change once I have a baby and that I don't realize how much work a baby is and I won't have time to work out.... which I find kind of insulting. Obviously I know it'll be different to anything I've ever known when the baby comes and my time will be limited. But my time has always been limited and I still managed to fit some sort of exercise into every day. Besides, the more exercise you do the more energy you have! And being a devoted yogi you make time, and live your life with your body in mind. So I really can't see me giving up my whole outlook on health and fitness the second I become a mother. And these same people seem to forget I've been a nanny for the past 4 years... I know EXACTLY how much work a baby is. I have helped raised a dozen babies; I have it down to a science! I am a professional mother after all. :)

 I look at my own beautiful momma for inspiration. She just finished a yoga challenge and cleanse this month. She's nearly 50 and looks better than most 30 year olds. She had 3 kids and still always managed to find time to take care of herself. I want to be able to be that same example of vitality and health to my own daughter.

It is entirely possible to return to a fitness regime shortly after pregnancy, you just need to make the time and intention. Doubt me all you want, I'm excited to prove all the naysayers wrong.

But in the meantime... I must find some new way of motivating myself while taking it easy. Life in the slow lane is not that inspiring for my creative process.  I guess I should give myself a break, I am after all, creating every second of every day a HUMAN in my body. Maybe that's where  all my imagination and ideas are going? :)

Nameste <3

No comments:

Post a Comment