Friday, May 17, 2013

Riders on the storm

Today is the kind of rainy day that humbles you back into your homes, makes you want to turn the heat back on just a little, and for me something drastic- putting socks on. I detest socks. They make me feel trapped. I'm a wild and free barefooted forest nymph type.

 This was the kind of day that made you feel justified cozying up under a blanket with a stack of books and a steaming mug of tea.

I am working today caring for bebes from my home. Some may find  rainy days a challenge when it comes to entertaining littles. But I see it as chance to dive deep into my imagination and look through the eyes of a child, finding magic in the ordinary.
Since it's May long weekend, and camping is just on the horizon, I decided to play pretend camping. I set up Minnow's play tent in her room, filling it with pillows, sheepskins and blankets, making it comfy and inviting. I set it up under the window so when we looked through the transparent tent ceiling we could watch the rain. Opening the window a crack, and turning the sound machine to "forest noises" we all huddled under a soft blanket and read books.
Minnow loves books. This makes me immensely happy.


At lunch time I put on my rainy day playlist. Made steamed broccoli, peanut butter and banana sandwiches, sprinkled with hemp hearts and chia seeds. I placed my daughter and my good friend's son into their high chairs, sat between them and we all gazed out the big kitchen window watching the rain and listening to The Doors.

Since having Minnow I've started to see food in a new light. I wanted only the cleanest, organic plant based diet to feed my child. Which in turn made me start eating more consciously. I really get excited now looking for new recipes or new health food products. I can't even begin to tell you how much coconut oil has changed my life! I have never felt better, more nourished, or energetic. It makes my heart swell with pride when I see Minnow chomping down on a big head of broccoli- her favourite food. If she only learns one thing from me, I hope it's how to have a healthy and thoughtful relationship with food. I want her to see calories as energy not as the enemy, and not feel the need to go on diet, because food she will eat will nourish her not destroy her.
 I want her to be conscious of where her food comes from. I want to teach her how to grow her own food. 
I think she is well on the way to becoming a contributing, accountable citizen of this earth.

She carefully inspects everything she eats before she eats it.





 Now the babies are sleeping softly in the tent, I feel relaxed and content. Rain has the most rejuvenating effect on me. I am a creature of water. I feel reinvigorated and restored as the raindrops feed my soul as much as they feed my garden.

I look forward to my yoga practice tonight at Moksha. There's nothing like the sound of rain to go with my asanas.


xo



No comments:

Post a Comment